Category B listed building, formerly occupied by East Lothian District Council, sensitively converted and comprehensively refurbished to create two luxury townhouses.
Conservation was at the heart of the process to provide a stylish integration of modern luxury living with original period features and materials. To achieve this we adopted various techniques to conserve or re-use original materials, such as:
- Adding shells to the repointing mix.
- Many painstaking hours overhauling windows, shutters and doors.
- Matching and manufacturing skirtings, facings, cornicing and roses to match existing.
- Reusing existing floorboards.
- Reslating, sourcing 40% replacement second hand scotch slates.
- Uncovering and refurbishing original 19th century cobblestones and stone slabbing.
- Rebuilding a chimney stack rather than removing and capping.
- Opening up and restoring fireplaces.
Closely liaising with the Planning Department and Historic Scotland to ensure the appearance of the building was restored to that in keeping with adjacent historical buildings.